Introduction: Chinese Meatball Soup With Napa Cabbage
In terms of comfort food for someone from north eastern China, there is nothing much that can compare to this. A bowl of hearty meatballs and soup will warm you up any day in the year.
Step 1: Ingredients
- Napa cabbage (few leaves)
- ground pork (1 pound)
- one egg
- green onion
- soy sauce
- cooking wine
Step 2: Prepare Meatballs
- Finely chop green onions and ginger, but save one stalk of green onion and 2 slices of ginger for the soup.
- crack the egg into the meat
- add the chopped green onions and ginger, add one teaspoon of salt, 2 teaspoon of starch, 1 teaspoon soy sauce and 3 teaspoon cooking wine too.
- stir and mix in the same direction (clockwise or counter clock wise) until the ingredients are well mixed and the protein start coagulating together under exposure to atmospheric oxygen.
Step 3: Cut the Cabbage
Cut it in to inch size pieces. You can also use other legumes if you want.
Step 4: Making Meatballs
- Add 1.5 L water to a pot, high heat.
- Throw in the un-chopped green onion and ginger slices
- Once the water is boiling, drop to medium heat.
- Use a spoon to scoop up ground pork into meat balls, and drop them into the soup.
- The key here is to start off large, and make smaller balls as you go. This way, meatballs added to the pot early will be cooked at the same time as the later ones.
- Once all the meatballs are added, turn heat back up to high.
- Skim the surface to remove excess blood foams; this is most easily done as it is boiling.
Step 5: Finishing Up
- Add napa cabbage to the pot, press down with a spatula or spoon and the cabbage will shrink as it cooks.
- Adjust soup flavor by adding salt.
- bring it to boil again and boil for 3 minutes before turning off heat.
- Serve in soup bowls, Enjoy!