Introduction: Chinese Scallion Pancake
Chinese Scallion Pancake 葱油饼
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Wait Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 6 minutes
1 cup of all-purpose flour
½ cup of hot water
2 stalks of scallions, chopped
1 tbsp of salt
2 tbsp of sesame oil
1. In a medium size bowl, add flour and water and mix until roughly combined.
2. Knead the dough on a floured work surface until smooth dough forms. Cover the dough with wet paper towel and set aside for 10 minutes.
3. While the dough rests, prepare your other ingredients. Chop 2 stalks of scallions, use both the green and white parts, and set aside. Pour about 2 tbsp of sesame oil in a small bowl and set aside. Prepare about 1 tbsp of salt in a dish and set aside.
4. After the dough has rested, knead for a minute and divide into two equal portions.
5. Take one portion of dough, roll out to about ¼'' thickness.
6. Brush sesame oil over the exposed surface of dough.
7. Spread a handful of the chopped scallions on the dough.
8. Sprinkle salt and white pepper.
9. Roll the dough into a tight cylinder.
10. Take the dough cylinder and coil up like a cinnamon bun.
11. Flatten the dough and roll out again into 1/4'' thickness.
12. Heat oil in pan at medium heat. Place pancake into pan and pan-fry for about 3 minutes a side or until golden brown.
13. Cut scallion pancake into wedges and serve as is or with your favorite dipping sauce.
While the pancake is cooking, use your spatula to flatten the pancake to ensure the center is cooked.
My favorite dipping sauce is a mixture of soy sauce, red vinegar, ginger and garlic, but that's because I like everything salty. This is good as is. Enjoy!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.