The perfect treat for a hot summer day is always something cold and slightly sweet! Frozen chocolate covered bananas are a delicious twist on the classic chocolate covered strawberries with the right ratio to satisfy all summer cravings. If you live in a house similar to mine these treats will be gone within minutes of being ready, so be prepared to set some aside for yourself.
Have fun making and don't forget to enjoy eating!
Step 1: Gather Ingredients and Materials
- Chocolate Chips
- Double boiler or bowl
*Used to dip banana pieces into chocolate
Step 2: Create a Double Boiler (optional)
Melting chocolate can be done using a double boiler or by melting it in the microwave. I used a double boiler, which can be quickly made.
Fill a pot with an inch or two or water and place a bowl snugly onto it. When the stove is turned on it will turn the water into steam and heat the bowl, which holds chocolate chips.
Step 3: Cut the Bananas
Peel and slice the wanted number of bananas (I did 2 medium sized bananas).
The banana pieces can vary in size depending on preferences of the chef.
Step 4: Melt Chocolate Chips
- Pour chocolate chips into the bowl, or the top of the double boiler. (I used a little less than a cup of chocolate chips for two bananas)
- When the chips begin to melt, stir them until all chocolate is melted.
- Pour 2/3 of wanted chocolate chips into a bowl, setting the rest aside.
- Microwave the bowl for 15 second increments until chocolate is showing signs of melting.
- Stir the rest of the wanted chocolate chips into the microwaved chips until you have melted chocolate with a smooth consistency.
Step 5: Dipping Time!
Before the chocolate cools and hardens, dip each banana piece into the melted chocolate to coat it. The pieces can then be placed on a plate or tray to be frozen on.
Don't forget that not every banana will turn out perfectly. This recipe is all about taste, not appearances.
Cover the tray or plate in wax paper to keep it clean.
Add peanut butter to the banana pieces to give each bite a flare of flavor.
Make a sandwich with peanut butter or Nutella between two banana slices before dipping in chocolate.
Step 6: Freeze
Place the plate of chocolate covered bananas into the freezer. Allow them to sit for at least 30 minutes before enjoying or transferring to another container.
Enjoy eating your homemade treats on a hot day!