Introduction: Chocolate Chip Cookies to Impress
Want a way to impress your family and friends at the next upcoming party or get together? Do you not have a lot of experience in the kitchen? Well, then a simple plate of homemade chocolate chip cookies is your answer.
My mom has been baking these chocolate chip cookies since I was young and they've always been a huge hit at all of our family parties and with all of my elementary school teachers. Growing up, I've watched and helped her make these cookies more times than I can count on two hands and along the way, I've learned what to do and what not do when it comes to baking in the kitchen. And now, I want to share this recipe with you and my advice and suggestions on all of the kinks I've worked through over the years.
Trust me when I say this, I have very little experience in the kitchen. The only thing I can confidently do in the kitchen is boil some pasta. This recipe for chocolate chip cookies is very simple and easy to follow and I've provided some pieces of advice that I've learned over the years. I've brought these cookies to almost every family party of mine or my boyfriend's and I've always come home with empty plate. It's fun and exciting to know that you can successfully make something that is homemade and see everyone else enjoying them.
If you don't have much experience in the kitchen or just need something that is quick and easy, this is the recipe you need to follow. The entire process takes only about 20-30 minutes (that is with baking time in the oven) and each batch makes about 2 dozen cookies. If you follow each step specifically, you will be very successful in baking a delicious batch of chocolate chip cookies that your whole family, friends, or coworkers will love.
Warning: Wash your hands before handling any food. Try to refrain from touching your mouth and face when preparing the cookies. Always use an oven mitt when transferring food into and out of the oven.
Step 1: Equipment & Ingredients Needed
- mixing bowls
- mixing spoon
- measuring cups & spoons (specifically 1 cup, 1/4 cup, 1 teaspoon)
- conventional oven
- oven mitt(s)
- cookie sheet
- aluminum foil
- cooling rack(s)
Ingredients Needed (The ingredients below you can purchase at your local grocery store. Included next to the ingredients are the smallest sizes and prices I could find. With the exception of butter and eggs, which can be found in the dairy aisle, you will find all of the ingredients in the baking aisle)...
- All-purpose flour (32 oz. pouch, $1.59)
- Baking soda (1 lb. box, $1.19)
- Salt (22 oz. cylinder,$0.99)
- 2 sticks of butter (pack of 4, $3.49)
- Granulated Sugar (32 oz. pouch, $1.39)
- Brown Sugar (16 oz. bag, $1.19)
- Vanilla Extract (16 fl. oz. bottle, $4.99)
- 2 large eggs (half a dozen, $2.29)
- Chocolate chips (12 oz. bag, $3.39)
Step 2: Preheat Oven
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Depending on your oven, it could take anywhere from 5-10 minutes for the oven to fully preheat. Mine takes about 10 minutes or so. Once you've set your oven to the proper temperature, begin preparing your ingredients to start mixing and by the time you're ready to put them into the oven to bake, it will be fully preheated. You do not have to wait for the oven to be fully preheated to move on to the next steps.
Step 3: Mix Dry Ingredients
1. Choose one of the 2 mixing bowls to use to mix your dry ingredients (if there is a size difference between the two mixing bowls you have, I suggest choosing the smaller bowl for your dry ingredients because this mix will eventually get mixed in with another)
2. Measure 2 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour and pour into your mixing bowl
3. Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda
4. Add 1 teaspon of salt
5. Gently mix the flour, baking soda, and salt together with the mixing spoon
6. Place mixing bowl with your dry ingredients off to the side for a moment, we will come back to it later.
Step 4: Mix Wet Ingredients
1. Take the second mixing bowl
2. Unwrap & add 2 sticks of softened butter to the mixing bowl (the butter can be soften either by a microwave or by leaving it out until softened)
3. Add 3/4 cup of sugar
4. Add 3/4 cup of brown sugar
5. Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
6. Beat the butter, brown sugar, and vanilla extract together with the mixing spoon (depending on how soft the butter was, this make take a lot of arm strength- just make sure the ingredients are all well mixed together)
7. Add one egg to the mixed ingredients
8. Mix egg well with the mixing spoon
9. Repeat steps 7 & 8 with an additional egg
At this point, your wet ingredients mixture will be very creamy but thick.
Step 5: Mix Dry & Wet Ingredients Together
This step is a simple process but I consider it to require the most arm strength. Please view the video I've provided if you need further guidance!
1. Using the first mixing bowl that has your dry ingredients, add a small amount (probably about 1/4 of the bowl) to your wet ingredients by carefully dumping contents in the bowl
2. Mix together until creamy with a mixing spoon
3. Repeat steps 1&2 until all dry ingredients have been added to your wet ingredients mixing bowl and mix together with a mixing spoon until creamy
Reminder: your mix will get thicker and thicker as you add and mix dry ingredients with your wet ingredients so it will get harder and harder to mix togeter but it will happen!
Step 6: Add & Mix Chocolate Chips
In order to make sure that you mix has an even amount of chocolate chips,use at least 2 cups of chocolate chips. However, you are free to add more if you are a chocolate lover like me!
1. Add a small amount of chocolate chips to the mixture
2. Mix chocolate chips well into the mixture with a mixing spoon
3. Repeat Steps 1&2 as many times as you'd need or like to until chocolate chips are evenly distributed within the mix
Step 7: Spread Cookie Mix Onto Cookie Sheet
When spreading your cookie mix onto a cookie sheet, beware not to put the little balls too close together. As the cookies bake, they will spread and flatten and if they are too close together, they will morph into one cookie.
1. Cover the surface of the cookie sheet with aluminum foil (this will ensure the cookies won't stick to the cookie sheet)
2. Using the mixing spoon or any spoon that is available, scoop a small ball of the cookie mix- roughly the size of a ping pong ball (it will not be in a perfect ball shape, just ball-like as you can see in the picture)
3. Point the spoon downward onto the cookie sheet where you would like to put your cookie.
4. Using your finger, gently push the ball of cookie mix onto the cookie sheet
5 Repeat Steps 2 through 4 as many times as you'd like until the cookie sheet is filled with little balls of cookie mix. A small cookie sheet will fit about nine, a big cookie sheet can fill up to a dozen.
Step 8: Place Cookies Into Oven
1. Using an oven mitt, place the cookies into the oven with the long side of the cookie sheet going in.
2. Bake the cookies in the oven for 5 to 6 minutes (use a timer on your cell phone or with an egg timer)
3. Flip the cookie sheet around so the opposite long end goes into the oven (at this point the cookies will look very doughy)
4. Bake the cookies in the oven for an additional 5 to 6 minutes or until they are golden brown.
Flipping the cookie sheet around mid-bake will allow each row of the cookies a chance to be baked deep into the oven and will prevent burning.
5. Take the cookies out and place them on top of the stove.
6. Allow 2 to 3 minutes for the cookies to cool.
Warning: Never leave the room while cookies are in the oven. The cookies may burn if left unattended for a long period of time.
Step 9: Place Baked Cookies Onto Cooling Rack
1. Once the cookies have cooled on the cookie sheet, with a spatula place each cookie onto the cooling rack.
2. Let cookies sit on cooling rack for 5 to 10 minutes before serving or packaging.
Step 10: Enjoy!
Once your cookies have cooled, they are ready to serve! You can put them on a plate or in a Tupperware container for traveling. If you are feeling really fancy or in the holiday spirit, feel free to experiment with your own form of packaging with ribbons and such. People will be raving all party about how delicious your cookies are!
Warning: Turn off oven once the cookies are done. If you are baking more than one batch, it is safe to leave on but never leave cookies unattended in the oven. Always use an oven when reaching into the oven.