These cookies are fun to make and delicious! They can be used for almost any occasion (who doesn't like cookies) and are sure to be a hit with anyone who likes sweets. These cookies are easy to make and take less than 30 minutes if you have the ingredients ready. No prior cooking experience or expensive equipment required!
This recipe yields about 12 cookies
2 cups of all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
3/4 teaspoon of salt
3/4 cup of room temperature butter
1 cup packed of brown sugar
1/2 cup of white sugar
2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 full egg
1 heaping cup of mini chocolate chips
1 package of Oreos (at least 1 for each cookie)
Cooking spray/parchment paper
One medium to large mixing bowl
An electric mixer (Optional)
Step 1: Measure and Mix the Dry Ingredients
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Baking Soda
Mix 2-cups flour, 1/2-teaspoon baking soda, and 3/4-teaspoon salt, in a small bowl and set aside for later.
- Be sure to be very accurate when measuring the dry ingredients. Adding just a bit too much of any one thing can drastically affect the taste. To ensure that nothing is overused, level off the top of your measuring spoons with a knife before adding the ingredient (As seen in the picture above).
- Do not add the sugar yet because it can clump and needs to be incorporated with the butter
Step 2: Mix the Wet Ingredients
Melt 3/4 cup of butter. This can be done in the microwave in less than 10 seconds. Make sure the butter isn't hard or it wont mix well (it's fine if it isn't completely melted).
Add the melted butter, 1/2-cup white sugar, 1-cup packed brown sugar, and 2-teaspoons vanilla extract to a medium to large mixing bowl.
- Brown sugar can be packed down like dirt or sand to fit more into the cup. If you don't pack it down you will end up with too little
Mix well and then add the full egg.
Beat these ingredients together with an electric mixer on medium-high speed. If you don't have a mixer, a spoon or strong whisk can be used as well although it will be harder. Mix until well combined.
Step 3: Mix Wet and Dry Ingredients
Add the dry ingredients from Step One into the mixing bowl you used in Step Two.
Mix all of this with an electric beater on low speed, or with a spoon. If needed used your hands to finish incorporating the dry ingredients into the dough (remember to wash your hands first!).
Finally add the chocolate chips. Do not use a mixer here! Use a rubber spatula or a spoon to evenly spread the chocolate chips throughout the dough.
- Smaller chocolate chips are better here because it makes it easier to mold the dough around the Oreo
Step 4: Make the Oreo Cookies
Now that the dough is made, the next step is to actually make something that resembles an Oreo stuffed chocolate chip cookie.
Get a heaping tablespoon of your dough and place in on one side of the Oreo. Use your hands to mold the dough over the edges of the Oreo until it looks something like the first picture above. Be careful not to use too much force because you don't want to break the Oreo.
- It needs to be a heaping tablespoon so that it can fully cover one half of the Oreo
Next get another heaping tablespoon of dough and place it on the currently uncovered half of the Oreo. Again use your hands to mold it over the edges until you have a mostly covered Oreo resembling the second picture above.
Lastly pinch off the edges of the dough from both sides so that the Oreo is fully covered.
- Be sure not to have too much dough on either side of the Oreo because the cookie will flatten out while baking
Step 5: Bake the Cookies
Grease your baking sheet and then place the prepared cookies onto the sheet about two-three inches apart. Parchment paper can also be used on the baking sheet but results may vary.
Bake for 13-16 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies start to brown.
- Be careful not to overcook them. Even if the dough appears to be very mushy when you take them out they will harden once cooled.
Let cool on the pan for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
Remember these cookies are extremely sweet, so its probably best to only eat one or two at a time!