My daughter wanted to make scones for my wife on Mother's Day. This is how we made them. They were moist and delicious served next to vanilla ice cream. If you want to try something a little different, I encourage you to give this a try.
Step 1: Ingredients
- 2 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour (298g)
- heaping 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar (50g)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter cut into 1/4 inch slices (85g)
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream (170g)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups to 2 cups chocolate chips (about 300g)
- Powdered sugar to coat the finished product (optional)
Step 2: Heat Oven
Preheat the oven to 400°F. place a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet.
Step 3: Combine Dry Ingredients
In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder until thoroughly combined. Add the 1 pad of butter at a time until unevenly crumbly.
Step 4: Time to Deal With the Wet Stuff
Whisk together the cream, eggs, and vanilla. reserve 2 tablespoons of the mixture, slowly add the rest to the dry ingredients, along with the chocolate chips. Mix until a moist dough is formed
Step 5: Turn Out Dough and Cut, Then Coat With Wet Mix
- Transfer the sticky dough to a heavily floured surface. Gently pat and round it into an 8" circle.
- Cut out a total of 16 scones (I used a pizza cutter); Space the scones evenly on the prepared pan.
- Brush the dough with the reserved egg/cream mixture
Step 6: Baking Time = 20 Minutes
Bake the scones for 20 minutes, until they're golden brown. Remove them from the oven, and serve warm.
Step 7: Serve Warm, Sift Powdered Sugar If You Want
- Sift powdered sugar over the scones
- (optional)If not serving immediately or within a couple of hours, store in an airtight container. To reheat, wrap loosely in aluminum foil, and bake in a preheated 350°F oven for about 10 minutes.