Introduction: Chocolate Macaroon Soup With Almond Biscotti Croutons (Vegan)
Dessert soups are more often fruity, summer types dishes, but I wanted to make one that would be more appropriate for an insanely cold and dark February evening. Fair warning, this is super-rich, but if you like chocolate and coconut, this is basically a bowl of warm, melty macaroons. So, you'll probably dig it.
The biscotti adds texture and provides a less sweet counter taste (there is not as much sugar in this as most biscotti recipes) but I added a few other garnish suggestions as well.
Quick comment on egg replacer vs. cornstarch. I used both in this, but either one would do the trick. But I have found that in soups/sauces I can taste the egg replacer while cornstarch in not detectable.
Also, you'll notice I used date sugar. I'm sure regular sugar will work just fine, I'm just being a hippie about it.
Step 1: Ingredients
1 Can coconut milk (14 ounces)
1/4 cup date sugar
2 Tablespoons raw cocoa powder
2 teaspoons amaretto
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon corn starch
1 cup flour
1/4 cup chopped almonds (or cocoa almonds)
1/8 cup date sugar
2 egg equivalent of egg replacer (I used Ener-G Egg Replacer)
1 teaspoon lemon zest
2 teaspoons amaretto
1 teaspoon chocolate extract
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
Ramekins for serving
Makes just over 2 servings.
Step 2: Make Biscotti
First, the biscotti...
- Preheat oven to 350oF
- Prepare egg replacer (1 Tbs egg replacer* to 4 Tbs water)
- Chop almonds
- In a mixing bowl,combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix egg replacer, amaretto, chocolate extract lemon zest and sugar
- Add flour to wet ingredients and mix by hand (dough will be dry, but should be able to stick together when pressed)
- Mix in chopped almonds
- Form dough into a log and bake in oven for 20 - 25 minutes
Step 3: Biscotti Continued
As the biscotti nears completion, I would suggest making the soup after Step 2 below.
- Remove biscotti from oven (turn oven down to Warm) and let them cool to the touch
- Using serrated knife, cut into 1/2 inch pieces, lay on side and return to the oven for 15 minutes to toast.
- Once cooled, break into smaller pieces. Since this is the smallest biscotti recipe I thought would be reasonable to make, there will probably be more croutons than you want for the soup, so you make want to leave a few larger pieces to serve along with the dish or for coffee the next day : )
- Chopped almonds and/or toasted coconut
- Whipped cream sprinkled with cocoa powder (there are vegan whipped cream recipes out there)
- Whipped cream with a cherry (that just goes well on most things)
- Marshmallows - hey, why not?
Step 4: Chocolate Soup
And now for the soup...
- Prepare corn starch (1 tsp corn starch to 1 tsp water, mix until smooth)
- Heat coconut milk in the saucepan and bring to a simmer, whisking occasionally (Note: Whisk pretty much continuously during all steps)
- Add cornstarch
- Add date sugar and whisk until dissolved
- Add amaretto and vanilla
- Add cocoa powder and mix until smooth
Thanks for checking this out!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.