A great way to feed 8 people on a small budget takes a good knife and 10 bucks.
Step 1: Ingredients
I went to my grocery store yesterday, and hung out in the produce section. I looked for manager's specials. You know, the packaged lettuce that will expire in the next two or three days so it's a use now and save money kind of deal.
- 1 bag 50/50 spinach/spring mix $1.49
- 2 bags seven lettuce mix $1.29
- 2 red bell peppers chopped $1.29
- 2 avocados chopped $.88 ea
- 1 yellow squash chopped $.87 ea
- 2 good shakes of parmesan (pantry item)
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar $1.49 (It was originally priced at 6.49 but they had overstock so I got a deal)
- 1 lime (had on hand)
- 1 lemon (had on hand)
- 2 cucumbers chopped 3 for $1
- 1 carrot, shredded (had on hand)
- 1 bunch of cilantro minced $.40
- 1 tsp of cumin (pantry)
- 1 tsp of garlic powder (pantry)
Step 2: Chop It Up!
This is a pretty easy salad to make. Chop up your cucumbers, red bell peppers, squash and avocado. Shred your carrots and mince your cilantro. Add them to a nice big bowl and admire the colors. Oh, the colors. Squeeze the lime juice over the mixture.
Step 3: Toss It!
Give your lettuces a little rinse and shake off the excess water. Add the lettuce to the bowl. Squeeze the juice of 1 lemon. Add about two turns of the balsamic vinegar or two tablespoons (I didn't measure it out). Add your garlic powder and your cumin. Give two good shakes of your parmesan, grab your salad tongs and toss it well.
Step 4: Eat It!
I made this as a first course for our big family dinner tonight and everybody loved it! It's tangy, packed with good greens and colorful veggies and fills you up.
So with tax, the salad cost 9.51. It fed 8 people with some left over so that came out to about 1.19 a person! You can eat well on a budget!