I've included a tree pattern that fits 8" or 6" embroidery hoops, or you can make your own shape.
Step 1: Materials
- Embroidery hoop (8" or 6")
- Green felt
- Star shaped button
- Embroidery floss
- Embroidery needle
- Round/needle nose small pliers
- 8 LEDS (5mm for an 8" hoop, 3mm for a 6" hoop)
- LilyPad Coin Cell Battery Holder (if this is too big for the 6" hoop pattern, a sewable battery holder will also work)
- 3V 20mm coin cell battery
- LilyPad Slide Switch
- Conductive thread
- Glue gun
Step 2: Prepare tree design
Cut out a tree shape from felt and center it on the fabric, pin in place. Design your own tree or print the PDF pattern I attached.
Step 3: Sew applique
Futuregirl Craft Blog has a great tutorial on the blanket stitch if you are new to it.
Step 4: Attach LEDs
Arrange the LEDs with the longer leg (+) facing the top of the hoop, and shorter leg (-) facing the bottom. Poke an LED through the holes in a star button at the top, with the + leg on the right side.
If you don't have a button, you can use yellow felt for the star.
Step 5: Prep LEDs for sewing
Once all the LEDs are bent, use the pliers to spiral the legs into loops for sewing.