Solution: Create a portable storage container for camping related eating, cooking and cleanup tasks that:
1. fits in the bed of my pickup.
2. folds down for easy storage.
3. expands at the camp site to provide more work space.
4. contains all the basic eating, cooking and cleanup equipment.
5. built from common on-hand materials and keep costs to a minimum.
6. stores easily at home ready for the next adventure.
Too good to be true? well let's give it a shot. This is a prototype version and depending on how it performs out in the field, may go through some changes.
I've attached a working drawing with dimensions that work for me. You may need to alter them to fit your needs. Good luck!
Difficulty scale: Depending on your carpentry skills, I'm rating this a 6 out of 10.
Step 1: Design - The Box
1. must fit stove and all cook/clean gear
2. must maximize storage space for large and small items.
3. must maximize working counter space.
4. must hold fresh and wash water containers.
The 2 top panels fold out and are supported by the swing out doors. The doors double as storage space for cleaning and condiment items. I added bungees to the doors to keep things from rattling around. The large storage compartment has adjustable shelves as does the right compartment. Nesting cooking components saves space and the flip out door design allows easy access to all components.