For around $100 you can build this high bed with storage clearance of either 6", 8", 12", 14" or 16" depending by what kind of cinderblock stones you use.
I used (2) 6" high cinder block stones providing 12" clearance. Perfect fit for a Banker Box!
Step 1: Buy the Supplies
- (2) 4'x8' MDF Boards and have them cut in sizes you need. The wood you choose of course is preferential.
For Queen Size 5' x 7' I had to cut 5' x 3.5'
- Buy 10 Cinder block Stones for a Queen Size. (Again, depending on how you want to place the stones you may even buy more. But 10 is minimum.
- Gripper! Looks like white paint but is thicker and prevents the stone from brittling off and gives any color put on top of it the true hue.
Step 2: Sketching or Drawing Up a Plan Helps Big Time
Step 3: Paint Every Surface Area With Gripper
- Drying time is about a Day.
- Then start with your color Paint
Step 4: Paint the Stones
Step 5: Cutting Corners (preference)
- Place a blank Paper under your bedspring
- trace the bedspring rounded corner
- take paper out from underneath bedspring and tape to MDF board
- use an xactro knife or a sharp object to poke holes along the line thru the paper onto the board
- remove paper and connect the dots
- use a saw to cut the corner off and sanding stone to round them smooth
Step 6: Paint the Board Edges
Step 7: Grip Shelf Liner Place Mats
- Get the grip shelf liner and cut in pieces (1 or patchwork) to cover top of each stone also in between stones!
(It will protect the paint and also prevent sliding)
- Place stones to final position
Step 8: Finishing the Frame
- Put the boards on top of the stones (may require 2 People!)
- Don't push or pull because it will move the place mats out of place
(if you're only one person, lay on your back in the middle of the stones and use all hands and feet lifting the board on top of the stones.)
Step 9: Adding Lights
The first lights I had used was red rope lights taped to the MDF board with clear tape.
But then I found the SMD 5050 RGB LED Lights on ebay (11 feet) with 44-key remote!
- what you'll need is adhesive velcro strips
- tape the soft part around the MDF boards but cut the strip where the boards separate
- cut small 2" or 3" pieces out of the rough velco as wide as the LED strip is.
Step 10: Quality Control: Does Your Pet Like the Bed?
If not. You suck and you need to rebuild it!