Step 5: $witching regulators
- consistent LED performance for a wide range of LED's and power supply
- high efficiency, usually 80-90% for boost converters and 90-95% for buck converters
- can power LED's from both lower or higher voltage supplies (step-up or step-down)
- some units can adjust LED brightness
- packaged units designed for power-LED's are available & easy to use
- complex and expensive: typically about $20 for a packaged unit.
- making your own requires several parts and electrical engineering skillz.
One off-the-shelf device designed specially for power-led's is the Buckpuck from LED Dynamics. I used one of these in my power-led headlamp project and was quite happy with it. these devices are available from most of the LED web stores.