Introduction: Classic Mac 'n' Cheese - Cooked Outdoors
CHECK OUT THE FULL VIDEO RECIPE
A take on a classic dish - Cooked outside on the grill or campfire.
Served as a side or main, Mac 'n' Cheese has fans the world over with everyone keen to create their own version and call it the best.
This recipe is a classic Mac 'n' Cheese that we've moved outdoors to show it can be cooked just as well on the grill or by the camp fire.
There's loads more you can do to your own version… add pulled pork, or ground beef, add spices to ramp up the heat…even turn it into a macaroni / cauliflower cheese hybrid. So please just use the basics in the recipe to make sure you're happy with the dish as a whole - then go off an experiment!!
Step 1: Ingredients:
Ingredients are as follows:
- 300g macaroni pasta (3 cups)
- 40g flour (1/3 cup)
- 25g butter (2 Table Spoons)
- 2 cloves of garlic - finely sliced
- Selection of freshly grated cheese:
- 40g pecorino
- 40g mozzarella
- 50g Cheddar
Step 2: Cooking the Pasta
- Boil your (lightly salted) water on the grill above the hot coals.
- Add your pasta, stir occasionally until the pasta is al dente i.e. has a slight bite to it's texture
- Whilst the pasta is cooking, thinly slice your garlic cloves
- Drain the pasta (reserve the water for later) and cover the pasta in olive oil.
Step 3: Making the Sauce
- Add a heavy based pan on to the grill.
- Melt butter and add chopped garlic
- Add flour to form a roux
- Slowly add reserved water (from pasta) to the roux to thicken to desired consistency
- Add you cheese and stir until the sauces is thick and oozy.
Step 4: Adding the Pasta to the Cheese Sauce and Grilling Top
- Add the cooked pasta to the cheese sauce and stir until the cheese is well distributed on the pasta
- Leave the Mac'n'Cheese in the pan and if available heat the top to create a crust:
- Serve & Enjoy!
Step 5: Watch the Full Video Recipe
Take a look at the full video to see how it was done and the grilling techniques.
Feedback always welcome.