Step 1: Tools and Ingredients
6 ounces All Purpose Flour (by weight)
2 ounces Granulated Sugar (by weight)
4 ounces Unsalted Butter-room temperature (by weight)
1/2 fluid ounce Almond Extract
1 Large Egg
5 Cups Powdered Sugar
Mixer with paddle attachment
Star Piping Tip
Two Zip-lock bags
Step 2: Prep Cookie Sheet
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Step 3: Making the Dough.
- Cream butter in mixer with paddle attachment
- Gradually add in sugar.
- Continue to mix till butter/sugar mixture is light.
- Add in the flour all at once and blend in well.
- Then add in the almond extract and the egg and continue to mix till well blended.
Step 4: Piping the Cookies
- Fold down the pastry bag to form a cuff and place star tip into the pastry bag.
- Using a spatula, transfer the batter into the pastry bag.
- Squeeze the dough down towards the tip of the pastry bag
- Pipe out the shortbread batter in 3-4" strips on the parchment paper, allowing about 1" between each strip.
Step 5: Baking the Cookies.
You want just a slight browning around the edge of each cookie.
The cookie will be slightly under-baked at this point, which is how we want it.
Remove the cookies from the oven and use a spatula to transfer to a cooling rack.
Give the cookies about 5 minutes to cool slightly.
Step 6: Sugaring the Cookies
Store the cookies in the bag of powdered sugar.
Set the bags of cookies aside the let them cool completely in the powdered sugar. What is happening is the warm cookie is melting the powdered sugar, which is being absorbed into the cookie. Undertaking the cookie keeps it from getting dried out. This cookie stays tender and develops a light sugary coating.
The shortbread also freeze really well and are great for pulling out of the freezer for coffee with unexpected guests!