An amazing project!
Had fun from start to finish.
Everything was self made, including the climbing holds.
Step 1: Plan & Design
Measure the wall you have for the structure support, and plan your climbing wall according to it.
I have made around 20 designs before I got to this one, once I felt comfortable with it, I stopped with the designs (could continue for ever..)
The design was done in layers -
1. The wall itself
2. The structure (10x10 logs, 4.80 in length)
3. The wooden platter (1.22x2.44) locations and angles
4. The wall drills location - the more the merrier - (stronger)
Calculate the amount of wood you need to buy, measure the length of every pole (for cutting), and calculate the angles
Step 2: Making the Climbing Holds
1. Make your desired "climbing hold" by using clay or something similar (I used 'Das')
I have tried using flower foam, but it was a bad, and a messy experience
2. Place the hold you made in a "box" (see image) - close the sides of the "box" with hot glue, so it surrounds the shape you made, make sure you leave at least 12 mm space around the edges, make sure it's all sealed very well!
3. Put liquid silicone (RTV) inside the box, and give it 24 hours to dry
4. Take out the hold you made - and you got yourself a negative of the hold
5. In the mold you made, place a washer and put in "liquid poliaster" (mixed with sand 1:1, and some color)
Give it 12 hours to dry
6.pull out the hold you made from the mold, clean it with sand paper, and make sure the screw can be easily inserted
Step 3: Assemble the Wall
1. Buy the wood (according to the plan you made)
2. Paint the wood with oil paint, a good protection from sun / rain
3. Drill holes in the wood (see images) - 6 holes per line, 12 lines, total of 72 holes per wooden platter
4. Place t- nuts in every hole, knock it in place, make sure it is straight
5. Build the structure on the ground
6. Drill the hols in the wall
7. Place the structure on the wall
8. Assemble the wooden platters into place
Step 4: Place the Holds
Because we have made many holes, It easy to rearrange them as you go
Step 5: Enjoy