I had a sunburst mirror that I had made hanging from one wall of my living room which I was getting a bored. I wanted to replace it with something I made myself, so I did a Google search of "cool mirrors" to get some inspiration. I came across the lovely bubble mirrors from Calligaris, which I thought I could try to replicate. While making a template for it, I created a slightly different shape, that of a cloud which I liked a lot more, hence the cloud mirror. (It seems somewhat fitting replacing a sunburst with a cloud mirror). My mirror is made very inexpensively using foam board and dollar store mirrors, costing under $10 in total. However had I the space and power tools, I would like to have made the cloud shape out of plywood white paint instead.
Step 1: Stuff you will need
- 1-2 sheets of Foam board -I picked mine up at a dollar store, they come in a standard size (20X30 in, 3/16in thickness)
- Round mirrors -I used 6 mirrors which I picked up at the dollar store(2X 5 3/4in diam., 2X5in diam., and 1X2in diam.)
- Pot and pan lids or bowls to trace circles
- Scissors, and utility knife
- Glue -I used a glue gun and white glue
Step 2: Cloud Template
To make the template for the cloud, I found some pot lids and a plastic cup from which I could draw circles. The circles need to be about 1-2inches in diameter larger than the mirrors. I traced the lids and cut them out of a magazine. I then arrayed the circles out on the foam board to create a cloud shape. Once satisfied with the shape, I traced it onto the foam board with pencil.