Introduction: Club Steak With Mushrooms
Club steak is the lower part of the common T-Bone steak (aka. New York steak), which has very high marbling, a relatively soft texture, and often comes with a piece of fat attached to the side.
For mushrooms, we will be using a mix of cremini and shiitake. Shiitake mushroom is particularly known for its exceptional flavor, whereas the cremini provides the light woody scent and soft texture.
Step 1: Softening and Seasoning the Steak
First, soften the meat with a tenderizer (fist works fine too, just make sure not to hit the bone in the steak).
Since the club steak is a fatty piece, we will use slightly more spices than just salt and pepper. Most of the ingredients below can be bought from store:
- garlic salt
- dried onion
- black pepper
- ground thyme
- ground nutmeg
Season both sides and rub in gently with a bit of olive oil.
Step 2: Cutting and Prep for the Mushrooms
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Finely chop green onion and parsley and set aside
- Wash and remove the stem from cremini and shiitake, then quarter the mushrooms
- In a large bowl, pour and whip half a cup of whip cream along with one egg yolk. Give it some time to stiffen in air.
Step 3: Frying Mushrooms
- In a pan, add some olive oil on high heat
- Add mushrooms and cook well, season with salt and rosemary
- move mushrooms to a bowl, pour in the whip cream and mix well.
Step 4: Grilling the Steak
- Set a pan to high heat with some olive oil
- Let the oil reach at least 110 degrees (Celsius), then place the fat side of the steak in first and hold for a minute.
- Once that has browned nicely, move to the two flat sides, then finally the two short sides.
Step 5: Roast and Completion
- Remove steak pan from heat;
- Spoon the mushroom creme over the steak;
- Sprinkle (or cover, based on taste) parmesan cheese over the steak.
- Place in the over for 5-8 minutes (depending on thickness and taste)
- Remove steak from pan and let it rest (in a cold pan) for 5 minutes to even out the temperature
- Serve with red wine and enjoy!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.