Step 1: Gather Tools, Wood, and Coat Rack (or Anything Tall That Can Hold Weight)
- coat rack (ikea from cragislist)
- 3 wine boxes (craigslist)
- 3 corner brackets (size of the bracket will depend on the box but generally, a 6 holed bracket should be fine)
- 6 1/2" hex bolts with washer and nut for each (to bolt the bottom of the box to the bracket)
- 6 2" hex bolts with washer and nut for each (to bolt the side of the box into the coat rack)
Everything depends on the width of the coat rack - 2" hex will get us from the inside of the box, through the coat rack, and clear to the other side with enough room for a washer and nut.
- drill bit
- hex nut driver
Step 2: Drill Into Rack and Boxes
We spaced out the boxes as two on one side (top and bottom), and the middle box on another side. They were about a foot apart.
As for the boxes, we just marked the holes and drilled. Two holes on the bottom and two on the side.
Step 3: Securing It All Together
Do the same with the longer hex nut, but secure it by inserting the hex nut from the inside to the outside of the coat rack. It doesn't matter which way you secure it, we just found it easier to do it this way. Because our bottom hole and side hole were so close to each other, to secure it both on the inside of the box would have made tightening the nut a bit harder. So, it seems, we were just lazy.
Step 4: Finish Putting All the Boxes on and Filling With Plants
I lined the boxes with plastic bags then filled with plants.
On a side note, we thought we would have to reinforce the coat rack to the floor due to the weight of soil/flowers, but it held up fine. Depending on what you use as the vertical hold, you may have to add weight to the opposing side.
Hope you liked my first instructable!