We don't have a lot of space so we built a coat rack planter as our version of a vertical garden. It's pretty simple if you have a drill and hardware store nearby. The coat rack and wine boxes were found on craigslist. The most expensive part was actually the plants, unless you visit your neighbor's garden for some late night harvesting. It's an afternoon project that will finally use that corner of the room while bringing a little green on in.
Step 1: Gather tools, wood, and coat rack (or anything tall that can hold weight)
What we used:
- coat rack (ikea from cragislist)
- 3 wine boxes (craigslist)
- 3 corner brackets (size of the bracket will depend on the box but generally, a 6 holed bracket should be fine)
- 6 1/2" hex bolts with washer and nut for each (to bolt the bottom of the box to the bracket)
- 6 2" hex bolts with washer and nut for each (to bolt the side of the box into the coat rack)
Everything depends on the width of the coat rack - 2" hex will get us from the inside of the box, through the coat rack, and clear to the other side with enough room for a washer and nut.
- drill bit
- hex nut driver