Introduction: Coat Hanger That Looks Like Lego Blocks
Second Prize in the
Maker Family Contest
Designed to look like Lego blocks, this colourful coat hanger is perfect for any little boy's bedroom - or spray in shades of pink, lilac and purple for a little girl's bedroom. This is an easy project to make that will only take about an hour, allowing for paint to dry.
YOU WILL NEED:
Length of pine or supawood 100 x 900mm
34mm dia. pine dowel or pine curtain pole
Pattex No More Nails adhesive
Wide masking tape
Rust-Oleum 2X spray paint in your choice of colours
Jigsaw, mitre saw or handsaw
2 picture hangers or keyhole brackets
Step 1: Cut the Blocks, Glue and Paint
1. Cut the pine dowel or pine curtain pole into 50mm long sections. You will need 22 circular blocks to make a Lego coat hanger similar to the one shown here. Make sure all the blocks are the same length.
2. Sand the edges of the blocks to remove any splinters and make them nice and smooth.
3. Before you glue the blocks down, place them on the board so that you have a good idea of the layout. Apply a small bead of adhesive to the underside of each block and press in place.
GOOD TO KNOW
For added strength you can add a screw through the back of the board and into the block. Only do this once the glue has set hard.
4. Take the project outdoors or into a well-ventilated area. Apply a thin layer of wood glue to the cut edges if you are using supawood - this reduces absorption and means that you use less spray paint.
5. Working one colour block at a time, mask off the area to be painted and spray. You will probably need to apply 2 to 3 light, even coats of spray paint. Once the painted section is completely dry, carefully peel off the masking tape and re-apply to paint the next block.
GOOD TO KNOW
Make sure the masking tape is pressed down firmly to prevent bleeding when you paint.
To mount the Lego coat hanger onto the wall, attach 2 picture hangers or screw 2 keyhole brackets to the back of the frame.
Pop onto www.easyDIY.co.za for more craft and DIY projects.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.