Introduction: Coconut Cream Pie - a Few Ways!
This pie can be made two ways
1) for those of you who like a lot of coconut in every bite - the coconut will be in the custard and on top of the whipped cream.
2) for those of you who don’t dig as much coconut (like me) - the coconut will be in between the custard & whipped cream, and if you want on top of the whipped cream.
The custard is really makes this pie and is out of this world delicious. I seriously think I am just going to make a batch to eat as pudding.
Step 1: Ingredients:
1 pie crust
1/2 cup coconut for toasting - use half if you don’t like as much coconut
for the coconut custard:
1 1/2 cups coconut milk (not canned)
1 1/2 cups half and half
5 egg yokes
1 cup sugar
4 tablespoons corn starch
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cups flaked sweetened coconut flakes – only if you like a lot of coconut
2 teaspoon vanilla
for the whipped topping:
1 small container of heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
Step 2: Pie Crust Directions
1. Roll out pie crust and place in pie dish.
2. Bake until golden brown in a pre-heated 400 degree oven (tip: place dry beans on top of tin foil to weigh the dough down and then remove for the last 10 minutes of baking).
Step 3: Toasted Coconut Flakes Directions
1. Spread the 1/2 cup of coconut flakes out on a large baking dish – you only want want one layer.
2. Bake in a pre-heated oven for 8-10 minutes stirring every few minutes. You want the coconut flakes to be golden brown.
3. Remove from the oven and set aside.
Step 4: Coconut Custard Directions
1. Pour the coconut milk and half & half into a small bowl and stir together. Add the egg yokes and whisk together. Set aside.
2. Add the sugar and cornstarch to a heavy bottom pan and stir together. Turn the heat to medium-low. Whisk in the milk and egg mixture. Continue to whisk constantly - you don't want it to burn!
3. Bring the custard mixture to a boil, whisking constantly. You don’t want the custard to burn. Continue to boil until the custard has thickened up, which will be about 2-4 minutes.
4. Remove the custard from the heat and add the butter, vanilla, salt and coconut (if you are adding the coconut to the custard mixture).
5. Pour the custard into the baked pie crust and spread until smooth and even. Cover with plastic wrap and cool in the refrigerator for about one hour.
6. If you are adding less coconut to the pie, once the custard has cooled spread half of the toasted coconut over the custard.
Step 5: Whipped Topping Directions
1. Whisk (with an electric beater to make things easier) the heavy whipping cream in a bowl just until small peaks form.
2. Stir in the sugar and vanilla and mix by hand with a spoon.
3. Scope the whipped cream out on top of the custard. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
4. When ready to serve the pie, sprinkle the remaining toasted coconut on top of the whipped topping.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.