Introduction: Coconut Hearts
This is a recipe of a typical dessert in Spain. We call them "coconut palms", I don't really know why, so I just called them coconut hearts, which makes more sense.
Step 1: Ingredients
For the hearts:
1 Pastry sheet (mine was 35x35 cm)
For the topping:
40g Caster sugar
20g Coconut + needed for the end
Step 2: Preparing the Pastry
- Dust some sugar on the countertop, not too much because one of the sides must remain sticky in order to get the heart shape we want
- Put the pastry dough on the countertop and remove the paper
- On this side, dust about 6 tablespoons of sugar and press it in the dough using a roller
- Now make a line in the half of the dough (this mark will be the guide for folding the dough) pressing softly making sure you don't cut it
- Fold each side to the line you just made, dust some sugar and press both layers with the roller
- Repeat this step once more
- Now put both sides together so that you have a roll and dust some sugar on the outside
Step 3: Baking the Hearts
- Cut the rolled dough in 1cm thick strips and put them on a tray
- In order to make them look like a heart, separate the tips a little bit
- Bake them at 200ºC (390F) for about 15 minutes
Step 4: Coconut Topping
- Mix the creamed butter, caster sugar and dried coconut
- Spread the mix on each heart and add more dried coconut as topping
Step 5: Enjoy!
Keep them in the fridge during summer. Take them out of it a few minutes before eating them.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.