Introduction: Codfish À Brás (Bacalhau À Brás)
One of the most famous Portuguese recipes: a traditional dish made with salt cod, potatoes and eggs.
(image from: http://nana-livrodereceitas.blogspot.com/2011/03/bacalhau-bras.html)
Step 1: Ingredients (4 Portions)
- 400 g Salt/ Fresh cod (salted, dry codfish)
- 500 g potatoes
- 1 large onion
- 6 eggs
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- Parsley (to taste)
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- Olive oil
- Black olives (to taste)
Step 2: Preparation
- To prepare the Portuguese Cod à Brás (Bacalhau à Brás) recipe, start having soaked the salt cod (at least one day, longer if possible).
- Remove the skin and bones, and break it apart with your hands.
- Meanwhile, cut the potatoes into matchsticks and the onion into fine rings.
- Fry the potatoes in a pan and set them to one side, drying them on kitchen paper.
- At the same time, in a deep pan, sweat the onions and garlic until golden, then add the pieces of salt cod, and cook for a few minutes, until it soaks up the oil.
- At this stage, add the potatoes and stir whilst adding the lightly beaten eggs with salt and pepper.
- Stir for a few minutes, turning off the heat before the eggs solidify and become an omelette!
- The Bacalhau à bras has to be served hot, with parsley and black olives.