Step 1: The Filling
- 2tbsp brown sugar
- 2tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1tbsp softened butter
- 1/8tsp cinnamon (1/8tsp = 1 pinch)
- small pinch of salt (less than 1/8tsp)
Put all of the dry ingredients together in a small ramekin/bowl, not the mug you will be making the cake in. Mix them together, then add the butter. Use your fingers if your adventurous and don't mind a mess (be warned it will become extremely messy) or a fork if you're a neat-freak and toss the ingredients together. Do it until soft crumbs form, then set aside.
Step 2: The Batter
- 1tbsp butter, room temperature (or coconut oil for a healthier alt.)
- 1tbsp brown sugar (or sugar in the raw)
- 1/2 egg (from 1 egg lightly beaten and divided)
- 2tbsp sour cream (or Greek yogurt)
- 1tsp maple syrup
- 1/8 tsp vanilla extract (or a few drops)
- 1/4 cup flour
In a bowl separate from your mug, mix the butter and brown sugar together until they're creamy and fully combined. Add the egg, sour cream, syrup, and vanilla. Once combined, add the flour. Pour one half of the batter into your mug (the one that will be going in the microwave!). On top of that, sprinkle 3/4 of the filling. Pour the remaining batter, the sprinkle on the remaining filling. Microwave for 1minute 30 seconds, and check for doneness by pulling the edge away from the mug: if it's very moist, put it in for another 30 seconds. From my experience, you can't over-microwave something. Be careful when taking it out of the microwave, it will be extremely hot! Enjoy!