Introduction: Coffee Cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
• 1 tbsp instant coffee
• 115 g butter, softened
• 140 g self-raising flour
• 140 g caster sugar
• 2 tbsp milk
• 2 large eggs
• 25 g walnuts
For the coffee icing:
• 2 tsp instant coffee
• 100 g butter, at room temperature
• 225 g icing sugar
12 walnut halves, to decorate
· For the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and prepare a 12-hole muffin tin.
· Put the coffee granules and 1 tablespoon of boiling water into a mixing bowl and stir until smooth. Add the butter, flour, sugar, milk, and eggs and mix with an electric whisk until smooth. Stir in the walnuts, then spoon into the muffin tin.
· Bake in the centre of the oven for 20-25 minutes or until risen and golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack until stone cold.
· For the icing: Put the coffee granules and 2 teaspoons boiling water into a bowl and stir until smooth. Add the butter, sift in the icing sugar, and stir until smooth and free of streaks.
· Spoon on to the cupcakes, then decorate each one with a walnut half.
The cupcakes can be made and iced up to 1 day ahead.
Freeze without the icing for up to 1 month.
These are made in muffin tins, which are fairly large, but make them in bun tins if you wish you should get 18 fairy cakes.