Step 1: The Dough
4 cups of STRONGLY BREWED coffee (it needs to be strong because you'll only use a small amount in the dough)
4 medium sized russet potatoes.
2 packages of active dry yeast (4.5 tsp)
1/2 cup milk
1 cup milk
1/2 canola oil
1 tsp. salt
5-7 cups all purpose flour
NOTE: you will also need a deep skillet/ fry daddy and oil to fry the doughnuts in. As well as a food processor or blender to puree the potatoes.
1. Start by pouring your 4 cups of brewed coffee into a large pot.
2. Peel and cube your potatoes.
3. Throw the potatoes into the coffee and boil them for about 20 minutes. (fork tender)
4. Remove the pot from the heat and scoop out 1/2 cup of the coffee broth and pout it in a bowl.
5. Add the 1/2 cup of milk to the coffee broth to cool it.
6. Sprinkle your yeast on top and stir it in. (Set this aside while you continue to work)
7. Drain the potatoes.
8. Puree them in a food processor with the 1 cup of milk, oil, sugar, eggs, and salt. (It will look like a giant potato smoothy)
9. Dump the puree into the resting yeast mixture & stir them together.
10. Add 1 cup of the flour at a time until a soft dough is formed.
11. Place the dough in a greased bowl, turn it once to coat the top, then cover and let it rise until doubled (about 1 hour)
12. Punch it down once, cover and let double again (about 30 min)
Step 2: Frying Them Up
1. Prepare a deep skillet or fry daddy to cook them in. (about 375*)
2. Roll the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. (about 1/2" thick)
3. Cut out the doughnuts with doughnut cutter. (I don't have one so I used a large cup, then a smaller rimmed condiment bottle for the centers)
4. Gentle drop them in the hot oil and let them coo about 1 minute on each side. (I use chopsticks to flip mine)
5. When they are golden put them on a cooling rack. (I like to put a drip towel under them so you don't have a greasy mess later)
Step 3: Add Some Bling
How to make your bling:
Coffee= Take 4 cups of powdered sugar and slowly add 1/3 cup of cold brewed coffee. Whip it together until it is smooth then drizzle it over the top of the doughnuts with a spoon while they are on the cooling rack.
Vanilla= Take 4 cups of powdered sugar and slowly add 1/3 cup of milk, with 1tsp. of vanilla. Whip it together until it is smooth then drizzle it over the doughnuts with a spoon while they are on the cooling rack.
Now you can simply enjoy your pimped out doughnuts....yummy!
P.S. Try saving one in your glove compartment so the next time you get pulled over you can politely hand one of these over with your drivers license and registration. ;p