Introduction: Cold Dish: Wasabi Flavoured Enoki Mushroom
Chinese cold dishes are a great appetizer to any meal, and one of my favourites are poached enoki mushrooms with garlic and wasabi sauce. Enoki mushrooms may look a little weird, with their long stems and small head, but they have a wonderful crunchy texture that pairs well with the fragrance of the garlic oil and wasabi sauce.
Step 1: Ingredients
- 1 pack of enoki mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 green onion
- Szechuan chili pepper
- Soy Sauce
Step 2: Wash, Chop, and Crush
Prepare your ingredients! We have 3 main ones - enoki mushroom, garlic, and green onion.
- Cut off ends
- Wash carefully in water and separate ends that are stuck together
- Peel garlic and cut off stem
- Mince garlic
- [optional] Crush minced garlic with a mortar and pestle to bring out flavour
- Carefully wash
- Mince green onion
Step 3: Poach Mushrooms
- Boil small pot of water
- When it starts to boil, add in the mushrooms quickly, for around 3 minutes
- After 3 minutes, take the mushrooms out and arrange on a plate
Step 4: Make Garlic Oil
Time to make the sauce!
- On medium high heat, heat a couple tablespoons of cooking oil
- When the oil is hot, add in the crushed garlic and a pinch of Szechuan peppercorn
- Stir for 30sec so that the garlic does not burn
- Pour the garlic, peppercorn, and oil over the plate of enoki mushrooms
Step 5: Add Sauce
Pour over some soy sauce, and stir in a small amount of wasabi. Garnish with some green onion and serve either warm or cold! Enjoy this twist on a classic Chinese cold dish!