Check out this tutorial to use colorful rice to make coasters.
Step 1: Materials
Food Coloring - In this tutorial I used icing food coloring, it is like a gel, but I have also used the regular liquid food coloring for this.
Vinyl Fabric - you can buy this at any fabric store, if you dont want to buy it then use a plastic zip lock bag as your vinyl fabric
Paper - to make the pattern for the decorations
Grommets and Grommet Pliers
Step 2: Coloring Rice
Put rice in a bowl.
When adding the food coloring you want to add a couple teaspoons of water so the color spreads evenly.
Mix it all together until all the rice in the bowl is the same color.
Once you've reached the desired color lay the rice out on a piece of wax paper. Leave the rice out until it is completely dry.
TIPS for getting desired color of rice:
1.add more water to the bowl which will wash some of the dye off the rice and lighten the color.
2. Add more rice to the bowl: one drop of blue dye for one cup of rice will be darker than one drop of blue dye in two cups of rice...makes sense
1. More dye and less water: drain the water from the bowl
Step 3: Sewing Letters
2. Cut out letters
3. Fold the vinyl fabric over so it is double layered
4. Pin the paper letters to vinyl fabric and cut the letters out (you should have two vinyl cut outs of the letters)
5. Pin the vinyl cut outs together and sew them together with sewing machine leaving a portion of the letter open to put the rice in.
Step 4: Adding Rice
Step 5: Hanging Rice
Put string through the grommet holes and hang the decorations from the ceiling!