Introduction: Colorful Wonton Soup (Vegan)
Brighten up this traditional dish by creating different color wonton wrappers using vegetable juices!
This also provides additional functionality for that juicer in the back of your cabinet and means you don't have to chop spinach...I really hate chopping spinach...
Step 1: Ingredients
2 cups flour (plus a little more for rolling)
1 cup veggie juice (1/2 cup spinach, 1/2 cup carrot)
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
Makes about 36 wontons
Half an onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
8 oz spinach
6 mushrooms, finely chopped
1/2 inch piece of fresh ginger
1 Tbs sesame oil
2 tsp salt (or to taste)
1 tsp mustard powder
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp sugar
3 Tbs Miso
6 cups veggie stock -
Someone was nice enough to point out that this awesome veggie stock Instructable is already out there...
Step 2: Juice
Time to juice! Since the "scraps" from the juicer will be used for the wonton filling, peel the carrots and ginger before juicing them.
- Run spinach through juicer into it's own bowl and set aside
- Same deal with the carrots
Step 3: Make Filling
Now prep the filling.
- Heat tablespoon of sesame oil in a frying pan
- Add onions and cook until they become almost transparent
- Add garlic
- After a few minutes, add all your minced spinach and carrots from the juicer and the mushrooms
- Spice it up with salt, mustard powder, cayenne and the dash of sugar
Let it all cook for 5 - 8 minutes on medium heat.
Step 4: Make Wantons
Making the dough:
- Mix flour salt and baking soda in bowl and divide equally into two bowls (one for spinach and one for carrot)
- In one bowl, Stir in spinach juice and olive oil (and obviously, the carrot juice and olive oil in the other)
- Mix until you can form a ball - If it is too sticky to handle, add more flour. If it is too dry, add a little water.
- Place ball on floured surface and roll out to 1/16 inch or less if possible. A heavy rolling pin works best.
- Cut into 2" x 2" squares
- Place one tsp of filling in center
- Dab a little water along the edges and fold over
- Pull the corners at both ends of the hypotenuse together and press to stick
Boil for 5 minutes in water, remove from water with slotted spoon and set aside for a sec while you mix up the miso...
Step 5: Miso
Bring the veggie stock and miso to a boil in your saucepan. Turn down to a simmer, add wontons and after 8 - 10 minutes you're ready to serve.
Hope people are inspired to experiment with all kinds of veggies for different color/filling combos!