Key Lime Pie is one of our favorite desserts so we decided to take a stab at making it out of completely raw ingredients. Most people don't know that by working with raw nuts, dates, a coconut, avocados, lime and some other ingredients you can make an amazing key-lime-pie. The final result was green, tangy, sweet, and delicious. There are a few variations on how to make this recipe, and this is our version with a some irregular ingredients. Let us know what you think!
Step 1: Ingredients
Ingredients for Avocado Key Lime Pie
Pecans, cashews, dates, apricots, vanilla extract, salt, limes, avocados, agave nectar, coconut, water, lecithin, coconut butter, raspberry (topping)
For the Crust
1 1/4 cups of pecans (~1.25 cups)
1 1/4 cups of cashews (~1.25 cups)
5 dried apricots
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
For the Filling
1/2 cup agave nectar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons of lecithin
1/2 cup raw unscented coconut butter
Step 2: Preparing the Crust
1. Combine the cashews, pecans, vanilla and salt in the Cuisinart until a crumby mixture is formed (see image.)
4. De-pit and chop 5 dates and 5 dried apricots.
5. While grinding, slowly add the dried fruit to the nut mixture and continue grinding until you are left with a smooth finish where the crumbly pie crust is held together by the stickiness in the fruits.
6. Set the mixture aside until you are ready to form your pie crust.
Step 3: Forming the Crust
1. Use a the raw coconut butter to grease the bottom and sides of a glass pie pan.
2. Spread the crust mixture uniformly into the pan, pressing against the edges and form the pie crust. No more than 1/2-1 inch in depth is necessary.
Step 4: Make the Coconut Milk
1. Using a screwdriver and hammer, puncture the three holes of the coconut and then drain it's water into a cup.
2. Once drained, hammer the coconut in a 360 rotation until it starts to crack. Keep hammering and peel away the outer shell as it cracks. If you have a hefty coconut and this tactic does not work for you, try a big kitchen knife, cleaver, or sledgehammer. If still having trouble, search youtube for many different solutions.
3. Clean and cut the coconut into smaller pieces.
4. Blend the coconut pieces, the coconut water, and some extra water (we added extra raw coconut water) to make raw coconut milk.
Step 5: Make the Pie Filling
1. Set aside one lime for garnish and squeeze the remaining limes (3/4 cup) into a juice which you add to the blender.
2. Add the coconut milk (1 cup), avocado, agave nectar, vanilla and salt to the blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
3. Add the coconut butter and lectin and process a little more, just until the mixture is evenly mixed.
Step 6: Pour in the Filling
1. Pour the filling into the crust and use a scraper to spread it evenly into the crust. You may also want to smooth the top of the pie.
2. Cool the pie in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
Step 7: Garnish and Serve
1. Cut the pie into 8 even slices.
2. Cut the remaining lime into wedges and place one on each individual slice.
3. Serve cold with fresh raspberries
Learn more about us http://www.craft-curious.com/