Introduction: Concrete Ashtray
I am going to show you an Ashtray I designed using a 3D printed model.
I often use 3D printers, I really like the result we can get, but some objects can't be made of plastic... like the ashtray ! that's why I decided to use a 3D printer to create a formwork. Using this method, I am able to create a complexe geometry made of concrete ! and the result is awesome !
To make it, you need :
- a 3D printer, or the 3D model printed.
- some Concrete (I used White Concrete)
- a soldering iron, to stipping formwork easily.
Step 1: Download and Print 3D Print the Model
You need to 3D print this model.
You can download it here : http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:816495
If you have a 3D printer, you could make it easily.
In case you don't have a 3D printer, you can use the website www.3Dhubs.com, and someone will print it for you.
Step 2: Cast the Formwork With Concrete
Once you have the formwork 3D printed, we can cast it.
In order to get something as clean as possible, the model you have printed is made up side down, that means the top part you will cast will be the ashtray bottom.
To cast it :
- Make some concrete
- Cast the formwork (make sure the formwork is perfectly full of concrete, with a flat surface)
Step 3: Stipping Formwork
To stipping formwork, I use a soldering iron. You will be able to cut plastic like butter.
To stipping formwork :
- Cut several vertical lines all around the ashtray
- Cut one vertical line till concrete
- You will be able to take the formwork off really easily.
Step 4: The Result !
The ashtray is done.
Using a 3D printer to make a casting, it's really easy to create several design for this astray. there are only 4 faces to change. I made 5 designs, you can see them on the images.
Thanks for reading.