Introduction: Concrete and Copper Door Stop
For this project you'll need:
- Some copper pipe, found in most hardware stores. I also used an elbow to hold the pipe in place but this can be done in many other ways.
- a disposable form for the mould. I used a cardboard ice cream tub.
- Mortar or concrete. In my case I used mortar because the project is fairly small and concrete doesn't work well unless there is a large amount of it.
Step 1: Cut Pipe and Pull Through the Rope
Start by cutting a piece of copper pipe just long enough to extend out of the mould. I also made a temporary brace to hold the pipe in place while the mortar dried around it.On one end cut a slit into the pipe just enough so that when it's bent open the wings/fins are at least 10mm inside the mould.
I broke down rope into smaller strips then pushed that into the copper from the bottom (wings/fins) up. Using some silicone lubricant spray made this a lot easier.
Once the rope is all the way through tie a few knots at the bottom and pull it in as far as possible so the rope gets jammed.
Step 2: Set Pipe Into Mortar/Concrete
Next you'll set up the form and brace then mix up some mortar or concrete. Make sure the copper wings/fins aren't touching the mould, they need to be fully encased in mortar/concrete. The best idea is to centre it in the mould. Then start dumping the mortar/concrete in.
Step 3: Cut Excess PIpe
Leave the concrete/mortar to cure for a day or 2 then dismantle the brace and take it out of the mould to let it dry out. When it's dry give it a light sand to shape it, for example to round the corners and smooth the top.
Now cut the copper pipe to length. I used a pipe cutter but you could do this with a hacksaw. You can also make the copper poke through as far as you want, this all personal taste.
Step 4: Paint/Seal
Now you can either paint the concrete (I used an acrylic paint) or go straight to concrete sealer. Or you could grab a paint brush and go to town. I went with a minimalist approach, and used a design I'd sen before in a magazine. I also added a coat of clear acrylic spray paint to protect the coper from tarnishing.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.