Google have recently announced an official adapter to connect your Chromecast via ethernet.
Sadly this wasn't available (At the time of writing) in my country.
Luckily for me there is a way of doing this using 3rd party parts, And best of all it involves No Hacking, No Software Mods And doesn't even require configuring!
Step 1: Hardware
You will require Three very cheap pieces of hardware.
- OTG cable with power. (Known as a OTG Y Cable)
- Ethernet dongle which MUST use a ASIX AX88xx chip.
- Standard Ethernet patch cable.
The OTG cable can be found on ebay, using the search term "Micro USB Male to USB Female Host OTG Cable Adapter + Micro USB Female Y Cable" finds good results.
Here's a link to the one i purchased http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Micro-USB-Male-To-USB-Fe...
Ensure it looks simular to the one in the photo. Full size USB-A female and 1 micro usb male and 1 micro usb female.
When purchasing an Ethernet dongle ensure your dongle uses a ASIX AX88xxx chip
Ensure the devices is usb 2.0 and 10/100.
I purchased "STOREINBOX USB 2.0 10/100 Lan" from amazon
I have read that BobjGear "Ethernet Adapter for Android" is working too! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007RTACDM/ref=c...
Ethernet cable can be any standard patch cable cat5 or cat6 at any length as long as it reaches from your chrome-cast to your wifi router.
Setup is really easy
- un-plug the usb charging lead from your Chromecast
- plug the charging lead it into the OTG Cable,
- plug your ethernet dongle into the OTG cable.
- Using the patch lead connect the Ethernet dongle into your wifi router.
- Plug the OTG Cable into your chrome cast.
Chromecast will pickup the dongle automatically and will now use the wired connection instead of wifi.