Introduction: Connect to Your Pc ANYWHERE!!!
This is an Instructable on how to connect to your pc from a remote pc anywhere in the world with internet!!! This method is purely for the sake of Virtual Network Connection (VNC) Education and for those who are suffering socio-economic disparity and do not want to go buy some program worth +$100. It also should not be used for mission critical purposes.
NOTE: IT WILL WORK BEHIND ROUTERS :D !!!
DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT RESPOSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE INCURED TO YOU, YOUR COMPUTER, YOUR FRIENDS / ENEMIES COMPUTER AND ALSO BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE SAFETY OF HUMAN KIND. IF YOU INTEND TO USE THE CONTENTS OF THIS TUTORIAL FOR ANYTHING AGAINST THIS DISCLAIMER DON'T CONTINUE TO THE NEXT STEP.
Step 1: Things You Will Need
- A computer
- Internet - preferably fast but any will do
- A flash drive or other means of mass storage devices.
- Windows Live Messenger with sharing folders enabled and two email addresses
Hamachi Setup files - https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/download.asp
Hamachi - Buri - Buriproject.info (Download)
TightVNC - http://www.tightvnc.com/download.html
TightVNC Portable - http://portableapps.com/node/11285
Step 2: Portableize!!! - Hamachi
First go to the Buri tutorial to compile buri ( http://www.buriproject.rd.to/howto/ ) DO NOT UNINSTALL HAMACHI LIKE THE TUTORIAL DID!
- When compiled into one file you can not change options or add/remove servers.
- Compatibility drops majorly and hamachi can't be updated when compiled into one file so you will be better off just doing it without making into one file. This will also save you a heck of a lot of time and hassle.
On your server's (your pc's) hamachi create a private network that only you are going to use and know the password of.
Quit the server-side hamachi.
On your portable hamachi - Buri, run the config.exe or whatever you may have renamed it to and join your server's network.
Transfer your configured Buri file / folder on to your flashdrive.
Step 3: Portableize!!! - TightVNC
First Install TightVNC (non portable version) on your server and set it up. Ensure you have set a password to access the server!
The best / fastest / safest options seem to be:
- No local input during client sessions
- Blank screen on client connections
- Poll full-screen
Next Install TightVNC Portable onto your flashdrive. You may wish to use "Portable Apps" but it is not needed.
The best / fastest / safest options for TightVNC Portable seem to be:
- Tight encoding
- Not 8-bit mode
- Scale by: Auto
Step 4: USE!!!
Finally, time to use your new VNC!!!
1. Run Hamachi and TightVNC server on your PC
2. Go somewhere with internetzorz
3. Join your server
To join your VNC server all you have to do is run Hamachi, copy your server's address then paste that address into the box in TightVNC portable as shown below. If you wish to run in fullscreen, press the Fullscreen button found at the top of the TightVNC window.
4. Impress friends / family / strangers with your 1337 Virtual Networking skills
5. When leaving the remote computer ensure hamachi is totally closed and the network is deleted BEFORE disconnecting your flashdrive.
HOW IT WORKS: Hamachi creates a virtual LAN network connection over the internet that is accessible by members of a hamachi server. It is very safe as you need a password to join (and obviously you won't be handing out your password to hackers). TightVNC then uses this network to connect to your computer, which the program thinks is on your Local Area Network.
In some cases I even find the VNC to run faster than the actual computer I'm on :S weird, I know but it is.
Comments and ratings are welcome and thanks for reading! :D
Step 5: Optional Stuff
- Set Hamachi as a windows service on your server.
- Start Hamachi and TightVNC when windows starts.
- Zip your Buri and TightVNC files and place in messenger sharing folders which you can access with your secondary email address. UPDATE: Sharing folders don't exist anymore, a skydrive could be a good alternative.
- Rig up a crazy mobile phone device that turns on your pc so you can do it anywhere and any time while saving power. UPDATE: I think you could do this by soldering two wires to your phones speaker and attaching them to a switch or relay and wire the relay to the power jumpers inside your pc. It would be a good idea to have the normal Power button on your pc and the switch running parallel so you can still use the button. Once this is done, set the ringtone on the phone to beep once and set everything else to silent. You should be able to ring the phone and the relay will close the circuit. it would be possible to also have the phone's charger permanently plugged into the phone and feed the cord through a hole in your case and since the phone's circuitry is isolated from the computer's by the relay, there should be no explosions. My electronic skills are a little basic so try at your own risk.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.