The very first thing you need to do is to have Google SketchUp installed. You can download it for free at: http://sketchup.google.com/download/
Once installed, start the software
- Go to Edit > Edge Style > Disable Profiles
- Go to Window > Model Info > Units
- Set Format to Decimal > Meters
- Enable length snapping at 0.01m
- Enable display units format
- Enable angle snapping at 15.0 degrees
- Make all precision at 0.00m
Download SketchUp file for this tutorial
If the first host doesn't work, try here
The file is in WinRAR format (similar to WinZip) and can be downloaded for free here
Step 1: Make the Base
Step 2: Draw Two Arcs
Click on the yellow boxes for details.
Step 3: Simplifying the Framework
Now click on the yellow box.
Step 4: The Monolithic Dome
Step 5: Creating Entrances - Part I
1. Hide the two domes to reveal the circular base.
2. Make a cylinder 5m in radius, and 10m in height. Then select the cylinder, Right Click > Make Group.
3. Make 8 well-spaced lines 10m high.
Step 6: Creating Entrances - Part II
The center of the cylinder should connect with the top of the lines.
You can find the center of the cylinder by selecting the Move tool, then hovering over two points of the top circumference of the cylinder, and then over near the center.
Finally, move the center original cylinder to the last position.
Step 7: Creating Entrances - Part III
2. Then triple click the dome
3. Right Click > Intersect > Intersect with Model
4. Select all 8 cylinders > RIght Click > Explode