Step 1: Parts
* The IC obtained form ByVac There is also a kit available that has the serial lead (£9.50 for the kit)
* A USB to serial device if not purchased with a kit from above.
* Photodiode TSOP2236 or similar device Farnell part number 4913061 about £1 (see below)
* 3.3V regulator 100mA LDO type (only for finished project) Farnell part no 1296588 (see below)
* Remote control - From living room, only to be used in non-telly viewing time
* Breadboard - various sources
* Servo motors - various sources
The Photodiode and regulator can also be purchased from ByVac, Farnell may have a minimum order value. The photodiode is the type that is used in conjunction with remote controls, it has three wires and the one specified works at 36kHz.