WHAT YOU NEED?
1) Arduino - You need a controller. I used Arduino since it is supported by MATLAB. For this project however I used, Gizduino, a locally made Arduino-based controller.
2) Ethernet Shield - You need a compatible Ethernet shield for your board. I used the ENC28J60 for my board.
3) Wi-Fi Router - To connect your Arduino which would be the means to communicate to your PC wirelessly.
4) LED - Any components to indicate communication between devices. For this project I used LED.
5) Printer Cable - To connect Arduino to your PC.
6) UTP Cable - To connect your Ethernet shield to the router.