To complete this project you will need:
- An iRobot Create (or possibly a Roomba)
- The Create Robot Serial Cable (it comes with the iRobot Create).
- A Palm Pilot (you can get these off of eBay or in yard sales for cheep). I'm using a Palm IIIxe.
- A dock for the Palm Pilot.
- A Null Modem and a 9-pin gender changer (male - male). To make your own (I'll show you how) you will need:
- 2 9-pin D-SUB connectors (male).
- 2 9-pin enclosures for the connectors.
- Some cable to connect the 2 9-pin connectors together (the cable must have at least 3 wires).
- The tools and skills required to solder.
I have included the program so you can install it onto your Palm Pilot without any hassle. If you want to compile it yourself you will need:
If you plan on developing for the palm or the iRobot, there is a lot of really good documentation you should look at. The website where you can download the Palm OS SDK also has some really good documentation
. If you want to work with the create iRobot puts out really good documentation for that too
.Disclaimer: I'm using Linux to do everything, so these steps (specifically the ones dealing with compiling the source code and installing the program on the Palm Pilot) might change slightly depending on your OS. This website contains tools for all 3 major operating systems.