What do I mean by interface?
At the end of this instructable you should be able to monitor your iRobot Create with your Palm Pilot; this includes checking all of it's external sensors and viewing the battery voltage. You will be able to run the demo programs from the Palm Pilot where there will also be descriptions of the demo's. And last but not least you will be able to create scripts for the iRobot Create to follow without the need for a computer.
I've included all of my source code, and trough this instructable I will describe it piece-by-piece. My goal is that you will be able to take my program and modify it to suite your own needs.
Step 1: Gather the materials
- An iRobot Create (or possibly a Roomba)
- The Create Robot Serial Cable (it comes with the iRobot Create).
- A Palm Pilot (you can get these off of eBay or in yard sales for cheep). I'm using a Palm IIIxe.
- A dock for the Palm Pilot.
- A Null Modem and a 9-pin gender changer (male - male). To make your own (I'll show you how) you will need:
- 2 9-pin D-SUB connectors (male).
- 2 9-pin enclosures for the connectors.
- Some cable to connect the 2 9-pin connectors together (the cable must have at least 3 wires).
- The tools and skills required to solder.
- The SDK (you'll have to make an account to download the developer tools, but it's free).
Disclaimer: I'm using Linux to do everything, so these steps (specifically the ones dealing with compiling the source code and installing the program on the Palm Pilot) might change slightly depending on your OS. This website contains tools for all 3 major operating systems.