So...lets say you happen to get you hands on a beautiful old-school BOSCH PBM V-1 cordless drill.
But it came with a couple of drawbacks:
A) The Ni-Cd battery pack is useless (makes sense after all those years).
B) It didn't come with a charger.
So you come to the logical conclusion. The cost of a new battery pack is more that you ar willing to pay,
and its impractical to rebuild the pack with new No-Cd cells as you don't have a charger to begin with!
So what do you do???
Convert to Lithium Power of course! :-)
---> SEE LAST STEP FOR AN UPGRADE ON BATTERY <---
All you'll need is the following:
1) 2 x 18650 li-ion UNPROTECTED batteries (branded and new is better) (UPGRADED, see last step)
2) One holder for 2 18650 batteries (cheep on eBay or locally) ---SEE LAST STEP FOR AN UPGRADE---
3) A small rotary tool (I used a Dremel with metal cutting discs)
4) Soldering iron (25W should be enough)
5) Hot glue gun (super glue, optional)
6) Tool to open up the old battery pack (I ended up using the Dremel)
(a nice site to read-up on li-po conversions: Lithium-IonBatteries.html)
Its really simple, so...lets begin!