Aquaponics is basically growing plants in fish water. So you need - fish -- water -- and plants.
This instructable only covers the fish and water.
- Catch a fish
- Get a bucket
- Fill with water
- Get a pump
- Put the pump in the water
For the whole system, the best book on the topic is by Sylvia Bernstein
Aquaponic Gardening: A Step-By-Step Guide to Raising Vegetables and Fish Together
- The fish were caught at a private club, normally fish this small would be thrown back.
- This includes some pictures of a dead fish -- 'fish-topsy'
Warning -- find better instructions -- 4 weeks latter I have 2 out of 6 fish remaining.
Step 1: Go fishing
Here are some tips on fishing -
- Fish eat early and late -- go as early as you can
- Fish eat in the shade
- Fish like to be in running water, so fish near an inlet or outlet
- Fish can hear
- Fish can see
- Fish eat flies, so fish where there are bugs on top of the water
- Fish eat worms
- Canned corn and raisins are easy to put on hooks, so is white bread in a little ball.
- Get short fishing poles, the kind with the button
Here is Molly catching a fish: