The shutters were recently painted and we noted that there was significant damage to the tops of the side rails where the end grain is exposed.
Water penetrated the end grain and speeds the deterioration of the paint and the wood.
I needed about 13 pairs.
Caps that are available commercially did not appeal to me. They tended to lap the faces of the shutters a minimal amount and therefore used screws to secure the shutters at the top. This doesn't seem to be too good for keeping water out.
So, I decided to make my own.
Step 1: Materials and tools
- Copper sheet (16 oz.), purchased from a roofing supply company
- Copper nails, purchased from Home Depot
- 30" metal bending brake, $59.95 from Harbor Freight (No. 67240) purchased specifically for this project, but will be used for others
- Electric sheet metal shears, $29.95 from Harbor Freight ( No. 92148) purchased specifically for this project, but will be used for others
- Tin Snips
- T-square, straight-edge and thin tipped Sharpie
Step 2: Layout and Cutting
Using the electric sheet metal shears, I cut the strips and then cut them to length (approx. 19 1/8")
I then used a straight-edge to lay out the bend lines for the 1 3/8" wide x 17 1/2" long shutters. My overall 3" x 19 1/8" copper strip allowed for approx. 3/4" overhang or face on the cap.
I snipped the ends of each strip at locations which would be the ends of the front and back faces of the caps.