Rasgulla is a syrupy dessert popular in the Indian subcontinent. Rasgulla is made from ball shaped dumplings of Indian cottage cheese cooked in light syrup made of sugar. This is done until the syrup permeates the dumplings.
You must have noticed that this is available in almost all Indian restuarants and it is a must have dessert in most of Indian functions like weddings etc. Its very easy to make. Hope you like it. Thank you.
Step 1: Ingredients
Ingredients for Making Cottage Cheese:
- Whole Milk - 1 litre
- Lemon Juice - 2.5 tsp
Ingredients for the sugar syrup:
- Sugar - 1 Cups
- Water - 2 Cup
- Rose water for flavoring - 1 tsp
Step 2: Make Cottage Cheese
- Boil whole milk in a pan.
- Put a clean cloth on an empty vessel and set aside.
- When the milk comes to a boil, squeeze lemon juice slowly till the milk starts to separate.
- Once it does, stop pouring in more lemon juice.
- Pour the hot curdled milk on the cloth which we placed on top of an empty vessel.
- Squeeze and drain out all the water.
- The white chunky mass left behind is the Indian Cottage Cheese.
Step 3: Make Cottage Cheese Balls, Make Sugar Syrup and Rasgullas.
- Massage the cottage cheese for 10mins so it becomes extremely soft with no lumps.
- Make tiny patties of the cottage cheese.
- Prepare sugar syrup by pouring in water and sugar in a pan on high heat.
- Carefully place the patties in the boiling sugar syrup solution.
- Close the lid and let it cook for 20mins.
- Ensure that they syrup is always on high heat and keeps boiling till we finish making the rasgullas.
- If the sugar syrup seems to finish up, the add boiling water quickly along with appropriate amount of sugar.
- The patties will almost double in size and will be as soft as sponge.
- Let is cool inside the sugar syrup to room temperature.
- Store it in air tight containers in the fridge. Its best when cold.
The Cottage Cheese Balls in Sugar Syrup or Rasgullas are ready. Enjoy!