I made these as simply as possible with herbal tea
. That's really all you need.
But if you want to get fancy, you can use a blend of sugar or substitutes, food coloring, additional flavors, and custom blend your own herbs.
Some great herbs (and their uses) for lozenges are:
- Horehound - (be careful - this stuff is strong!) pain reliever, stimulates digestion
- Echinacea - best before full onset of cold, anti-bacterial + blood cleanser
- Peppermint - expectorant, decongestant and mild pain reliever
- Eucalyptus - relieves congestion
- Camphor - relieves congestion
- Ginger - pain relieving, antiseptic and antioxidant
- Goldenseal - antiseptic and immune stimulant
- Licorice - anti-viral, chest and throat soother
- Sage - good for sore throats
- Fennugreek - expectorant
- Juniper - relieves congestion
- Yarrow - reduces fevers and inflammation
I also used powdered sugar
to make my candy molds, and to toss them in so they wouldn't be so sticky. If you have candy molds, these work just as well!
Finally, a well-calibrated candy thermometer
makes this task almost effortless! To make sure it's accurate, check the temperature of a cup of boiling water to be certain it registers 212o
C). If it doesn't, make note of the difference.