A few months back I fell in love with a coat from Top Shop Chicago but had a realization when I looked at the price tag. For the cost of a coat made with all synthetic materials at Top Shop, I could purchase materials made with all natural fibers to make a much, much warmer, longer lasting, and better quality version of the coat if I was willing to put a bit of time and effort into the project.
To spend the time, money, and effort to make a coat from all natural materials was a big commitment. I wanted to create something with classic appeal so I could wear it the rest of my life. I don't want this item to be worn for one year and discarded - I wanted a heritage piece.
Which is exactly what I did.
- The coat is a simple princess line garment that falls to mid-thigh.
- The neck has sheepskin lapel
- Two toggle buttons are used for the closure
- The hood is fully lined in sheepskin
- The body of the coat is lined in knitted wool
- The sleeves are lined in knitted wool with rabbit fur lining the inside of the sleeve opening at the hand
- A layer of heavy weight cotton twill is used as an underlining to block wind and add extra warmth