Seagull poop ate holes in the cotton denim skin. Then the seagulls pecked at the holes to see if it had tasty guts. They pecked right through the closed cell foam layer. Now you couldn't use the boat at all without getting a wet butt.
Ray and Chloe volunteered to make a new skin.
Step 1: Old and Broken
Peel it off, exposing the closed-cell foam layer underneath.
Step 2: Patch the Big Hole
Then she cuts a piece of foam to match the hole and glues it in using DAP weldwood contact cement.
In this case we didn't follow the directions and glued it in while the glue was still wet. The shape holds it in place and it would have been impossible to insert the plug after the glue got tacky.
Step 3: Patch the Stems
Then I used the turkey knife to smooth the edges of the patch.
Step 4: Check the Tarp for Holes
Step 5: Patch the Tarp Holes
Step 6: Mark the Pattern for New Skin
We ended up draping the new skin over the boat frame, clamping it with split pipe rings, and marking the edges with sharpie marker before cutting it out.
Step 7: Polyester Test
Nylon elongates about 10% when it gets wet, and that makes it get loose. So we measured a chunk of cord, soaked it with water, and measured it again. It's not nylon! Proceed to next step!
Step 8: Glue the Stem Seams
Step 9: Reinforcing Patch Rub Strip on Stem Seam
Step 10: Sewing a Cord into the Edges
Step 11: Lacing the Skin to the Bows
Step 12: Lace the Skin Onto the Frame
Step 13: Testing!
It works great, there are no leaks, and Solara has a dinghy again!