Introduction: Crack an Apple in Half With Your Bare Hands
If you prefer the video version of the Instructable, you can see the process in this short video.
Step 1: Technique
This trick is all about the technique. As the video explains, humans are not strong enough to simply grab a hold of an apple and rip it apart. The secret is to use your hands in such a way that the harder you grip the more pressure is applied from the stem of the apple outward. Keep this idea in mind as we proceed to the next steps.
Step 2: Wiggle the Fleshy Part of Your Thumbs Into the Stem Area
Remove the stem and then wriggle the base of your thumbs (actually part of your palms) into where the stem was. The rest of your fingers go around the apple and rest on the bottom of the apple.
If you put your hands in this position without the apple and pull your fingers toward your wrists, you will notice that your thumbs roll out. This rolling is the force that will split the apple open.
Step 3: Grip and Roll
With your hands set as described in step 2 squeeze hard and let your thumbs roll outward. You will feel the ripping force increase as your grip tightens. As you grip harder, the apple will break in half.
Step 4: Some Things I Have Learned
1. Pretty much anyone can do this. I learned it from my mom and even my 12-year-old boy scouts can do it - even the skinny ones.
2. It sometimes helps to use your knee to strengthen your grip. Try pushing on your knee with you fingers as shown in the photo.
3. It sometimes helps to start out with a softer apple or a very crisp ripe one. If the apple is not ripe, it might be more difficult.
4. Size matters. You will eventually be able to crack all sizes, but it may be easier to start with one that fits comforably in your hand - not to big, not too small.
5. If you haven't already watched the video, then I recomend you do so. Sometimes its just easier to see done.
Runner Up in the
Hungry Scientist Contest
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.