Introduction: Cracked Egg Birdhouse
I made one of these birdhouses a few months ago but I never made a video or instructable so when I heard Summers Woodworking was running a birdhouse contest on YouTube I made a new version and filmed the process! This is a really simple & fun beginner project, it is made to look like a bird is hatching from an egg every time a bird exits the house and your kids would really enjoy painting the birdhouse!
Step 1: Cut Your Materials to Size
- You will need to cut 5 pieces of wood to make a simple open topped box this will be the main body of the birdhouse.
- You will need a larger piece of wood that will act as the front of the box
- Try to use scraps of wood that would otherwise go to the fire or waste wood pile,I used pallet wood and old plywood.
- I cut the pallet wood pieces to size on my mitre saw.
Step 2: Glue & Screw
- Lay out your 4 side pieces and add some wood glue along the edges of the pieces
- I used a clamp to hold the sides firmly together for drilling.
- Drill pilot holes at each of the corners to stop the pallet wood splitting when you when you add your screws.
- I added the back part of the box with 4 screws and no glue so I can easily remove the back and clean the interior of the birdhouse if necessary .
Step 3: Make Your Egg
- Draw out a large egg shape on some scrap plywood.
- Carefully cut out your egg with a jigsaw or fretsaw
- I then drilled a 1.25inch hole with a spade bit,you can Google to find out what size hole to drill in your birdhouse to allow different species access to the birdhouse.
Step 4: Join the Egg to the Box
- Place a bead of glue around the edge of the box.
- Place the box in position on the back of the egg and clamp it or in my case add some weight until the glue is dry.
- I added some small nails after the glue was dry for extra security.
Step 5: Prime & Paint
- I sprayed the whole birdhouse with primer.
- After allowing sufficient drying time I sprayed the back of the box black
- I painted the front of the box white.
- Use a small fine brush and black paint to create the eggshell cracks.
- I then added some egg yoke leaking from the crack.
- Create the leak effect by overloading your brush and letting the excess run naturally.
Step 6: Hang Your Birdhouse in a Nice Tree
This was a quick and fun project done with scrap wood so it cost very little to make!Please if you make a version post an ible on how you make yours! I hope you enjoy my video!
Please Subscribe to my channel & thumbs up & share my video!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.