What You Need:
-Craft Foam Sheets
-Paint (two or three browns and black)
-Matte Modge Podge
-Contact Cement (if you're attaching it to something afterwards)
Step 1: Imprinting the Foam
2. Heat up your iron, I heated mine to a medium setting, any hotter and you'll melt the foam.
3. Crumple up a piece of tin foil, uncrumple it slightly and flatten it so it's about the thickness of two sheets of foil, any thicker and the design won't transfer.
4. Iron! This is a trial and error portion, test out a small corner until you're happy with the mixture of pressure/heat/time.
5. Repeat this process until the entire foam sheet is imprinted with the foil design. The edges of the foam may curl up a bit, so while it's still warm, hold the edges down until it's cool enough to keep the shape.
Step 2: Painting Your "Leather"
2. Water down some black paint until it has the consistency of water.
3. Use a wide brush to brush on the black, and then immediately wipe it with a paper towel, pushing the black into the crevices and spreading it around to create a gradient.
4. At this point, you can use a slightly lighter brown than your base, or just use your base again like I did. With the top coat, I dry brushed it on and smeared it as best I could again with a paper towel. Let dry completely.
Step 3: Seal the Paint Job!
Step 4: All Done!
Let me know how you use your foam leather and if there's anything else you would like me to add to the tutorial!
If you have any questions you can reach me here, on Facebook www.facebook.com/SkywardSong, Twitter @SkywardCosplay, Instagram @skywardsongcosplay, and email @ email@example.com