Needle and thread
Sewing machine (optional)
Hammer or Prym Vario Plier
Velleman Kit MK129
2x AAA battery
Heat shrink tubing (small size, black)
Synthetic fibre fill
5 eyelets (Prym, ø 4mm)
Step 1: The Circuit board
1. Open the package of the Velleman Kit. Unfold the cardboard inlay.
Inside, you will find step-by-step instructions how to solder the parts onto the circuit-board.
2. Sort out all components and order them on your table. Identify the LDRs (Light Dependent Resistors, the ones with the spiraling pattern) and put them aside.
3. Solder all components following the Velleman instructions, but do not solder the LDRs just yet! These are your light sensors, and therefor need to be placed on top of the fabric skin, piercing through it.
5. Solder the LEDs at the very end of their legs, leaving them sticking out on the other side. You want them to resemble snails eyes.
4. Cut two tiny pieces of heat shrink tubing and pull them over the LEDs legs. 'Brush' over the tubing with the hot soldering iron. The tubing will shrink around the legs, making a more robust assembly.
Tip: Soldering the motors can be tricky if you are new to soldering (you have to fill up a gap). It will help if you apply solder on the board and on the motor first, and then connect them together.