Introduction: Crayfish Aquarium Set Up
Here is my tutorial for how to set up an aquarium for the Australian Red Claw Crayfish, Cherax Quadricarinatus, which is an edible crayfish found is some aquaponic systems.
Red claws can grow to be 20cm long and need a minimum 30cm x 30cm floor space in a tank. Unlike normal aquarium set ups were the volume is the most important factor, here you want to go for the largest floor space you can find, irrespective of the volume. Tall tanks are a not the one!!
- Red claws are a fresh water crayfish, enjoying water around 25 C.
- They eat mainly fresh vegetables like peas, courgette and seaweed but can also be feed sinking algae waffers.
- Hides are essential in your tank set up.
PLEASE DO SOME MORE RESEARCH OUTSIDE OF MY TUTORIAL BEFORE BUYING A CRAYFISH.
List of items you will need:
- My tank - http://www.portonaquapet.co.uk/36x15x12_Agt_C.s-M1...
- Hides - bogwood, coconuts, catfish hides, rocks, pvc pipe
- Filter mesh / foam
- A section of 12mm aquarium hose
- An aquarium heater
- An aquarium pump
- 25kg of aquarium sand
- Ceramic filter media (volume will depend on the size of your baffle
- Wire mesh wth small holes
- Plastic sponge
- Sheet of 6mm acylic
- Aquarium safe silicon
- A lid - I used a growbag tray
- Something heavy - I used some space wood
Baffle tutorial https://youtu.be/GMAu_upVyVw
UK Crayfish supplier http://its-a-fishy-buziness.co.uk/Red-Claw-Crayfi...
If you have any questions, feel free to leave them here or in the comment section of the YouTube video.