Introduction: Creamy Dal Makhni
Dal is a staple dish in every Indian kitchen. Dal or lentils are of various types, there are ample varieties of Dal to choose from and as always each have their own nutritional benefits.
Dal Makhni is a dish of Punjabi origin. It is made using whole black lentils and kidney beans. The texture of the dish is very creamy and is a treat to one's taste buds. Black lentils have a good amount of nutritional benefits such as high quantity of fiber, protein, magnesium and iron.
This dish can be served with bread, naan, chapatis and rice. Owning to a lot of butter and cream that goes into this dish its good to indulge in a little guilty pleasure once in a while.
So lets begin cooking!
Step 1: Ingredients
- 200gms whole Black lentils (urad dal)
- Kidney Beans (handful)
- 3 Onion (medium size)
- 5 Tomatoes (medium size)
- 3 tbsp Ginger and Garlic paste
- Chili powder
- Coriander powder
- Garam masala
- 5 tbsp Ghee
- Coriander leaves
- 4-5 tbsp Cream
For the tadka
- 50gms unsalted Butter
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp Asafoetida
- 1 tbsp Cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp Garam masala
Step 2: Soaking and Boiling
- Soak the black lentils and kidney beans in water overnight.
- Boil the black lentils and kidney beans in a pressure cooker at high flame.
- After 5 mins turn the heat to low and allow the lentils to cook for 20 mins.
- After 25 mins turn off the heat and let the lentils rest in the pressure cooker.
Step 3: Cooking the Masala
- Finely dice the onions and tomatoes.
- In a heavy bottomed dish add ghee (turn the heat to low).
- After the ghee is heated add onions and sauté.
- After the onions turn brown add ginger garlic paste and allow to cook for 5 min.
- After the raw smell of the paste disappears add the tomatoes.
- Add chili powder, coriander powder, salt.
- Let this masala cook for 7-8 mins (till the tomatoes have cooked and the oil separates).
Now its time to add the lentils.
Step 4: Adding the Lentils
- After all the pressure from the pressure cooker has been released mash the lentils lightly with a masher.
- Next add the lentils to the masala.
- After add the lentils, mix well.
- If your Dal is very thick add hot water to get the required consistency.
- Add salt and let the Dal come to a boil.
- Boil at high heat for 5 mins and then turn down the heat to low and cook the Dal for 30 mins.
- Every 5 mins make sure you stir the Dal to avoid formation of clumps.
- After your Dal has achieved a thick consistency turn off the heat.
Step 5: Making the Tadka
- In a small pan heat butter (at low heat).
- Add cumin seeds to the heated butter.
- Add chili powder, garam masala, asafoeida, coriander powder.
- Saute some fresh coriander leaves.
- After cooking the tadka, add this to the Dal.
Step 6: Time to Eat
- After adding the takda, mix well into the Dal.
- Finally add cream, mix well and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
And thus your Dal Makhni is ready to serve. Serve Dal Makhni with bread, naan or rice.